Chocolate Truffle Cake Recipe
Love chocolate? Then this tender, luxurious layer cake is for you. With a ganache glaze and a fabulous bittersweet filling, the indulgence is so worth it. —JoAnn Koerkenmeier, Damiansville, Illinois
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the milk, butter and chocolate over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla; stir in chocolate mixture until smooth. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well (batter will be thin).
- 3. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate. Stir in confectioners' sugar and cream until smooth.
- 5. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache reaches a spreading consistency.
- 6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 676 calories, 38 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC