- 1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (6 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), crushed
- Bake cake according to package directions. Cool. Prepare pudding according to package directions; set aside.
- Crumble cake; reserve 1/2 cup. Place half of the remaining cake crumbs in the bottom of a 4-1/2- or 5-qt. trifle dish or decorative glass bowl.
- Layer with half of the coffee, half of the pudding, half of the whipped topping and half of the crushed candy bars. Repeat the layers of cake, coffee, pudding and whipped topping.
- Combine remaining crushed candy bars with reserved cake crumbs; sprinkle over top. Refrigerate 4-5 hours before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Trifle
Sort By :
"Found this recipe years ago in the TOH magazine. Can't wait to make again! It's easy to make, delicious and always gets rave reviews. I too use the bagged Heath chips, much easier."
"We make this recipe for every family gathering. I omit the coffee, but I would like to try the recipe as written sometime. Since there is almond in the Heath bars and my niece is allergic to nuts, we recently revised the recipe. In place of the crushed Heath bars, I added crushed Oreo cookies. Both recipes are equally delicious!"
"This recipe was in the first Taste of Home magazine I received many years ago. I still make it often. It is the most requested dessert at church dinners. I now use one bag of Heath bits instead of crushing the Heath bars."
"First off I love trifles (know not everyone does) but this one is always a hit at family gatherings. I also like that you can make this the night ahead. Really rich and delicious!"
"Have made this recipe many times. Always a huge hit. I substitute brownies for the cake (cut into one inch squares). I also use chocolate chips as not everyone cares for the heath bars, and I omit the coffee. Also, side a little food coloring in the whipped cream for the holidays. I did pink for Easter. This is an extremely easy and delicious dessert. Enjoy!"