For a fabulous finale when entertaining, Pam Botine's lovely layered trifle is a winner! "It's a do-ahead dessert that serves a group, and it even tastes great the next day," comments Pam, from Goldsboro, North Carolina.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (6 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), crushed
- Bake cake according to package directions. Cool. Prepare pudding
- according to package directions; set aside.
- Crumble cake; reserve 1/2 cup. Place half of the remaining cake
- crumbs in the bottom of a 4-1/2- or 5-qt. trifle dish or decorative
- glass bowl.
- Layer with half of the coffee, half of the pudding, half of the
- whipped topping and half of the crushed candy bars. Repeat the
- layers of cake, coffee, pudding and whipped topping.
- Combine remaining crushed candy bars with reserved cake crumbs;
- sprinkle over top. Refrigerate 4-5 hours before serving. Yield: 8-10