Chocolate Torte Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Whisk cocoa and water until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture. Beat until smooth.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a bowl, beat cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla on high speed until soft peaks form. Chill until firm.
- 4. In a saucepan, melt chips and butter over medium heat; stir in cream. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar. Chill for at least 1 hour or until completely cooled. Beat with electric mixer to achieve spreadable consistency.
- 5. Spread half of the filling over one cake layer; top with second layer and remaining filling. Top with third layer; frost top and sides of cake. Chill for 2 hours before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 slice: 857 calories, 48g fat (29g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 105g carbohydrate (75g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Torte
"Best chocolate cake I have ever made!!!!!"
"After the first bites of this cake, my husband and son declared it the new favorite cake in my house. My son already ordered it for his birthday."
"Very good cake, but I had a hard time getting the filling to stay in the middle. It oozed out the sides making it difficult to frost."
"I think I may have over mixed the filling because the heavy whipping cream mixture turned to butter! Other wise a very good cake.."
"One of the best chocolate cakes ever. The frosting looks like a mistake about half way through, but keep going and follow the directions. It is one of the best chocolate frosting recipes I have ever had"
"I made just the torte part of this cake and covered it with white chocolate frosting (I made it for a baby shower so brown just wouldn't do) and filled it with whipped white chocolate ganache it was SPECTACULAR!! Everybody said it was the best cake ever"
"The chocolate cake and whipped cream filling actually tastes like a really good Devil Dog.My family loves it."