- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Whisk cocoa and water until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- In a bowl, beat cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla on high speed until soft peaks form. Chill until firm.
- In a saucepan, melt chips and butter over medium heat; stir in cream. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar. Chill for at least 1 hour or until completely cooled. Beat with electric mixer to achieve spreadable consistency.
- Spread half of the filling over one cake layer; top with second layer and remaining filling. Top with third layer; frost top and sides of cake. Chill for 2 hours before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Torte
"Best chocolate cake I have ever made!!!!!"
"Very good cake, but I had a hard time getting the filling to stay in the middle. It oozed out the sides making it difficult to frost."
"I think I may have over mixed the filling because the heavy whipping cream mixture turned to butter! Other wise a very good cake.."
"One of the best chocolate cakes ever. The frosting looks like a mistake about half way through, but keep going and follow the directions. It is one of the best chocolate frosting recipes I have ever had"
"The chocolate cake and whipped cream filling actually tastes like a really good Devil Dog.My family loves it."