- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Prick crust with a fork; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set.
- Meanwhile, place coconut and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in ice cream topping. Spread over crust. Bake 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Toffee Delights
Sort By :
"The first time I made these, I processed the coconut and almonds as directed, but they were a bit too fine for me. The second time, I only slightly chopped the nuts and coconut in the food processor and liked it much better. I prefer more texture from the coconut and nuts. They taste a lot like my favorite GS cookie! The jar of caramel topping made the prep time much quicker, but next time I may try homemade caramel because the ice cream topping was a bit too runny."
"These came out so yummy! I didn't have almond extract so I doubled up on vanilla extract. The shortbread was a little crumby, but I live in a dry climate, so maybe that's why. I will make it again!"
"Very good! I used 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and they tasted great. Will definitely make these again."
"Definitely a winner with me. If you like the Girl Scout cookie "Somoas" you'll love these."
"These are very easy to make and they turned out great! Delicious!!!!"