Chocolate Toffee Delights Recipe
“I combined my favorite shortbread recipe with some ingredients on hand and came up with these wonderful bars that remind me of my favorite Girl Scout cookies.” —Shannon Koene, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Prick crust with a fork; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set.
- 3. Meanwhile, place coconut and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in ice cream topping. Spread over crust. Bake 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 bar equals 149 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC