“I combined my favorite shortbread recipe with some ingredients on hand and came up with these wonderful bars that remind me of my favorite Girl Scout cookies.” —Shannon Koene, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Prick crust with a fork; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set.
- Meanwhile, place coconut and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in ice cream topping. Spread over crust. Bake 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Toffee Delights in Taste of Home October/November 2010, p75
Reviews for Chocolate Toffee Delights
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review