Chocolate Toffee Cake Recipe
“I’ve been making this cake for years, and it’s the most requested cake from my family and friends for coffee get-togethers. Now that I have two grandsons, I serve it at birthdays, too!”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) milk chocolate English toffee bits
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. Combine the toffee bits, chips and brown sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (mixture will appear curdled). Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour a third of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with a third of the toffee mixture. Repeat layers twice. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely. For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add evaporated milk and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 665 calories, 32 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 417 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC