- 1 package (8 ounces) milk chocolate English toffee bits
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Combine the toffee bits, chips and brown sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (mixture will appear curdled). Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour a third of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with a third of the toffee mixture. Repeat layers twice. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely. For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add evaporated milk and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Toffee Cake
Sort By :
"This cake was very yummy. I didn't have problems being too dry, in fact I thought it was a little on the moist side. It's also very rich!!! I left the frosting optional when I served it and it tasted great even without the frosting."
"Cake was dry and we didn't care for the taste. I thought the glaze would help it out, but the evaporated milk gave it a strange taste. It would have been much better with half & half or even plain milk. Also, the chocolate chips added too heavy of a chocolate taste. I think it would have been tastier with just the chocolate toffee bits. It was a total waste of ingredients."
"I made this cake for my family, and they LOVED it! I would make this cake again for sure. I'm not sure why someone would say that it was too dry. They must have over cooked it."
"I've made this cake several times and was never dry. My family loves it."
"the was very dry,i will not make again,"