Chocolate and peanut butter are popular with our clan, so I roll them together in this recipe. It's fun watching folks' faces when they bite into the middle.
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- CHOCOLATE DOUGH:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, beat peanut butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Roll into thirty 3/4-in. balls. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg white and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Roll into thirty 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Using floured hands, flatten chocolate balls and shape one around each peanut butter ball, sealing edges. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until cookies are set and tops are cracked. Cool for 1 minute. Before removing to wire racks.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat shortening and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Spoon into a resealable plastic bag or pastry bag; cut a small hole in corner of bag. Pipe icing over cookies in a zigzag pattern. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Surprise Cookies in Country Woman March/April 2001, p29
Reviews for Chocolate Surprise Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review