Chocolate Surprise Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- CHOCOLATE DOUGH:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat peanut butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Roll into thirty 3/4-in. balls. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg white and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Roll into thirty 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 3. Using floured hands, flatten chocolate balls and shape one around each peanut butter ball, sealing edges. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until cookies are set and tops are cracked. Cool for 1 minute. Before removing to wire racks.
- 5. For icing, in a small bowl, beat shortening and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Spoon into a resealable plastic bag or pastry bag; cut a small hole in corner of bag. Pipe icing over cookies in a zigzag pattern. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 333 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Chocolate Surprise Cookies
"These are amazing! They do take some time, but are definitely worth it. I usually put in just a teeny bit less flour than it calls for to help with the dryness. I never bother with the icing either - they don't need it."
"I did something wrong. My dough was dry and the cookies were dry. I cook with recipes and don't know a lot of technique. Maybe if I added some drops of water to the dough? These are A LOT of work, took a very long time. I will not the try to make these again, just because of how long it took. I don't want to waste time just for them to turn out the same way."
"These are amazing!! We left the icing off the top. It taste like a soft buckeye. Or my husband said if reese's made a cookie this would be it."
"Wonderful!!! I make these for gifts or just to have around the house! I don't use the drizzle on top and they still turn out great!"