Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 10 fresh strawberries or grated chocolate, optional
- Grated chocolate, optional
- 1. Combine strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar; refrigerate if desired. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter and 2/3 cup chips until crumbly. Add half-and-half and stir until just moistened.
- 2. Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-in. thick. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 13 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat whipping cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
- 4. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with about two-thirds of the strawberries, whipped cream and fudge topping. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries, cream and topping. Garnish with chocolate if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 633 calories, 32g fat (19g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 438mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
"450 is about 50-100 degrees to hot - they burned and over 1/2 of them ended up in the trash. The parts we were able to salvage were really delicious. We had them with raspberries and homemade whipped cream-YUMMY. I will try again at a much lower temperature."
"I made this with a brownie mix instead since I was short on time and it was DIVINE!!!! Pure heaven! I will absolutely make again using the shortcakes just to see if I like them as well as the brownies."
"I made these today and the taste was good but the bottoms burned. I think 450 is too high of heat, I even reduced the cooking time by 2 minutes. Also, they did not puff up enough to split in half."
"delicious and easy, great with fresh raspberries instead of the strawberries"
"So, I made the best cookies by mistake! While making the recipe, I accidently put in 1 cup of half and half instead of 3/4 cup. The batter came out loose. I figured out what I did, so I gently added about 1 cup of extra flour until batter resembled muffin mix. I used my ice cream scoop and placed them on parchment paper bake sheets, about five inches apart. I'm telling you, sisters in the kitchen-hood, they made the biggest, softest cookies! We used just one for short cake and are haveing one tonight by themselves with a glass of cold milk."
"OMG! Amazing! Love, love, love it. Will be making this again in the very near future."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.