Although I have some great "from-scratch" recipes, this one uses a boxed mix with plenty of doctoring. It has become a popular groom's cake that gets more attention than the wedding cake. —Nora Fitzgerald, Sevierville, Tennessee
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioner's sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Beat in milk until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Pipe or spoon melted chocolate onto waxed paper in decorative designs; let stand until set.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream just to a boil; pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing ganache to drape down the sides. Arrange strawberries on top of cake. Top with chocolate garnishes. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2010, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review