- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup thawed strawberry breeze juice concentrate
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Grease and flour three (8- or 9-in.) round baking pans; set aside. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Divide evenly and pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Reserve 6-7 strawberries for garnish. Puree enough remaining strawberries to measure 1 cup; set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over juice concentrate; let stand 5 minutes. Microwave on high power 1 minute. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved; set aside. In a small bowl, beat 1 cup heavy whipping cream until stiff; set aside.
- To prepare filling, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in strawberry puree. Gradually add gelatin mixture; blend until smooth. Gradually whisk in whipped cream; set aside.
- Line a 12-cup capacity bowl with 2-3 long sheets of plastic wrap, allowing ends of plastic to over-hang edges by at least 6 inches. (Diameter at top of bowl must be 8-1/2 or 9-1/2 inches, depending on size of baking pan.)
- Gently press one cake layer into bottom of prepared bowl.
- Spoon about one-half of filling over cake layer in bowl; top with second cake layer. Gently press down on cake layer. Spread remaining filling over cake. Top with remaining cake layer. Gently press down. Cover cake with loose ends of plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar and remaining 2 cups heavy whipping cream until stiff. Uncover top of bombe in bowl. Invert onto serving platter; remove and discard plastic wrap. Frost bombe with sweetened whipped cream.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and oil; stir until smooth. Transfer to a heavy-duty small resealable plastic bat. Cut a tiny hole in bottom corner of bag. Gently squeeze bag and drizzle chocolate over bombe. Garnish as desired with reserved strawberries. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate-Strawberry Bombe
Sort By :
This in one of my very favorite recipes from the Taste of Home Cooking School! It looks beautiful and tender, creamy and delicious! I would like to try it using a brownie mix instead of the cake mix; truly a family favorite.
Kids loved it. Made it look like an Easter Egg.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >