My husband, Randy, and I are chocoholics, so this recipe has become a favorite. The fudge-like topping pairs well with the chocolate-cinnamon filling.
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and cocoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour into two greased 9-in. round or square baking pans; sprinkle with pecans. Set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; brush with melted butter. Combine the sugar, cocoa and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangles to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into nine slices; place, cut side down, over syrup and pecans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until well browned. Cool for 1 minute before inverting onto serving platters. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Sticky Buns in Best of Country Breads 2000, p87
Reviews for Chocolate Sticky Buns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review