Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
Every bite of this cake has a mild chocolate flavor that will appeal to all palates. Enjoy it dusted with confectioners' sugar or topped with Rich 'n' Fluffy Chocolate Frosting on page 140.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Stir in orange juice and vanilla until combined. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar on low speed, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high until mixture thickens and nearly doubles in volume. Combine the flour and cocoa. Fold a fourth of the flour mixture into the yolk mixture. Repeat with remaining flour mixture; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into the yolk mixture; fold in remaining whites.
- 3. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; remove cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 184 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Sponge Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC