Chocolate Souffles Recipe
Baked in individual custard cups, these chocolaty delights are ideal for serving with Christmas dinner. For variety, try sprinkling fresh raspberries or chocolate curls on top. Jeannette Mango of Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
- 7 teaspoons plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Spray seven 10-oz. souffle dishes with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar into each dish, tilting to coat the bottom and sides; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa and coffee granules. Stir in water until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute (mixture will be thick). Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate until melted. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature.
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gently fold a fourth of the egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared dishes. Bake at 325° for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Souffles in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p39
Reviews for Chocolate Souffles(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >