- 7 teaspoons plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Spray seven 10-oz. souffle dishes with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar into each dish, tilting to coat the bottom and sides; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa and coffee granules. Stir in water until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute (mixture will be thick). Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate until melted. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature.
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gently fold a fourth of the egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared dishes. Bake at 325° for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Souffles in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p39
Reviews for Chocolate Souffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >