This recipe has been treasured and passed down in our family for years. It came from my Aunt Clara, whose cooking was a blend of her country and rural French roots. I can always depend on everyone being home to eat-and on time-whenever I make this for dessert.
Recommended: Hot Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Baking cocoa or ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. In a small bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar and salt; add milk and stir until smooth. Stir into the melted chocolate. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of filling into yolks, return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add extracts. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar on high until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate batter until no white streaks remain, then fold in remaining egg whites.
- Grease the bottom of 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; add souffle batter. Place dish in a larger pan. Fill large pan with hot water to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For topping, beat the cream in a chilled small bowl until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Serve souffle warm with a dollop of sauce. Sprinkle with cocoa or cinnamon if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Souffle in Country April/May 1995, p49
Reviews for Chocolate Souffle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review