Chocolate Snack Cake
This rich cocoa cake from LeeAnn McCue is so tasty, there's no need to frost it. "But it's wonderful served warm with ice cream or whipped cream," suggests the West Springfield, Massachusetts cook. Sweetly priced at 8 cents a square, it's just the right size for a small family.
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl,
- combine water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and
- mix just until blended. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting.
- Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 280 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.