Chocolate Shoofly Pie
This is an old Pennsylvania Dutch favorite that my family enjoys because it's not as sweet as some desserts. I love baking this reliable recipe, but I also like trying new ones.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie crust (9 inches)
- In a small bowl, stir together water, chocolate syrup and 1/4
- teaspoon baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, blend flour,
- sugar, butter and remaining baking soda; reserve 1 cup for topping.
- Place pie crust on a baking sheet. Pour 1 cup of chocolate syrup
- mixture into shell; gently combine rest of chocolate syrup mixture
- with remaining crumb mixture and add to pie crust. Sprinkle reserved
- crumbs on top.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out
- clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 439 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.