Chocolate Shoofly Pie Recipe
This is an old Pennsylvania Dutch favorite that my family enjoys because it's not as sweet as some desserts. I love baking this reliable recipe, but I also like trying new ones.
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie crust (9 inches)
- 1. In a small bowl, stir together water, chocolate syrup and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, blend flour, sugar, butter and remaining baking soda; reserve 1 cup for topping.
- 2. Place pie crust on a baking sheet. Pour 1 cup of chocolate syrup mixture into shell; gently combine rest of chocolate syrup mixture with remaining crumb mixture and add to pie crust. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 439 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC