- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved; stir in peanut butter.
- Remove from the heat. Add cereal and mix well. Press into a greased 13x9-in. pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Scotcheroos
"Scotcheroos are one of my all time favorites. They remind me of my grandma! I also do not add the shortening. Just sprinkle the chips over the hot bars, wait for them to start to melt, and spread with a knife! :)"
"I can not stop eating these. I love them. Sometimes I put them in a 10x13 pan so they aren't quite so thick and I use 6 oz. each of the chips. I agree, the shortening is unnecessary. My brother is a marine and these travel great and are very well accepted!!"
"I make the same recipe, although I do not add the shortening. I really don't feel there is any need for it."