Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Recipe
- 2 packages devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Red and/or green food coloring, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat cake mixes, eggs and oil until blended. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets and flatten slightly.
- 2. Bake 8-10 minutes or until a slight indentation remains when lightly touched. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach desired consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring.
- 4. Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 sandwich cookie: 181 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
"These added great color to the cookie tray. Tasted wonderful as well."
"Nice sandwich cookie. Definitely, don't forget to flatten the cookie dough balls before baking."
"Absolutely loved these cookies! Should have added a little bit more vanilla to the icing however, as there wasn't a significant vanilla taste. Will absolutely make again!"
"Great cookie. I use buttercream frosting mixed with Nutella to put cookies together. Then I pipe a holly sprig on top with colored royal icing."
"Yummy. Everyone loved these and they were so easy to make. My son and I used buttercream and cream cheese frosting from the can to make it easier. We didn't use food coloring but we sprinkled red and green sugar around the edges after putting the sandwiches together. The cookies turned out great."
"I try to get away from preservatives the best I can because of some alageries in family"
"Make these every Christmas...everyone loves them!"
"My absolute favorite cookies! I have made them numerous times and they are always amazing."
"I found this cookie recipe a few years back and this is the only cookie my son requests for Christmas. I made a couple of changes after the first initial time making them. I add a few festive sprinkles on top when I bake half the cookies so they are pretty on top and since my son isn't that into cream cheese he prefers a buttercreme icing for the creamy middle."
"my nephews just love these cookies!"
"These cookies are awesome I make them all the time they are my husbands favorite"
"my boyfriend said to give this recipe the highest rating, and if you like "invisible" cookies to make them - as soon as you do, they're gone... he ate almost the entire batch by himself! I used a ready-made cream cheese icing for the sake of time and it worked well! i will try the recipe's filling next time! enjoy!"
"Very good and easy to make. Great Frosting."
"These cookies were just SUPER! They were SO good!!"
"So fun to make and the whole family loved them."
"I made these for a church luncheon - they where well received but we all thought they where a little to sweet."
""These are my family's very favorite cookies," declares field editor Karen Bourne of Magrath, Alberta. "They're soft, chewy and totally delicious."View this recipe now"