Chocolate Ring Cake Recipe
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups black walnuts
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, stir chocolate and boiling water until chocolate is melted; cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and chocolate mixture.
- 2. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- 3. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, milk, sugar, chocolate, corn syrup and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until blended. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a mixer for 15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 614 calories, 39g fat (13g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Ring Cake
"I followed the directions to the letter, and was very disappointed with the end result. Very dry. My 8 guests agreed. I hate to waste food, but I tossed out the remaining cake."