These cute cutout reindeer really fly off the plate when my brother's around. They're his favorite! The subtle chocolate color and taste make them a nice alternative to plain vanilla sugar cookies. —Lisa Rupple, Keenesburg, Colorado
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 44 Red Hots
- OPTIONAL ICING/DECORATION:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Blue pearl dragees
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-1/2-in. reindeer-shaped cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-9 minutes. Immediately press a Red Hot onto each nose. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach a piping consistency. Place mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag; fill with icing. Pipe around edges of cookies and add a dragee or the eye. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Reindeer in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p34
Reviews for Chocolate Reindeer
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review