Chocolate Raspberry Tunnel Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Toasted sliced almonds and additional fresh raspberries, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut a 1-in. slice off top of cake; set aside. Hollow out the bottom portion of cake, leaving a 1-in. shell. Cube the removed cake to measure 1 cup; set aside. (Save remaining cake for another use.)
- 4. Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in milk, lemon juice, extract and food coloring if desired. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping. Fold berries and reserved cake cubes into mixture. Fill tunnel with cake cube mixture; replace top.
- 5. Spoon cake cube mixture over top of cake to within 1 in. of edge and into center hole of cake. Frost top edge and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with almonds and additional raspberries if desired. Chill. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 562 calories, 25g fat (17g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Raspberry Tunnel Cake
"a dense cake, not very tall. I substituted canned cherries for the raspberries. Everyone liked it."
"We have reviewed this recipe due to the comment below. The recipe is correct at two 3-ounce packages of cream cheese. Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese comes in 3 and 8 ounce packages. However, if you can't find the smaller one, use 6 ounces from a larger package.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.