Slice into this moist cake and get ready for a wonderful surprise. The fluffy raspberry filling in the “tunnel” gives this chocolate cake its tasty twist.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Toasted sliced almonds and additional fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut a 1-in. slice off top of cake; set aside. Hollow out the bottom portion of cake, leaving a 1-in. shell. Cube the removed cake to measure 1 cup; set aside. (Save remaining cake for another use.)
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in milk, lemon juice, extract and food coloring if desired. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping. Fold berries and reserved cake cubes into mixture. Fill tunnel with cake cube mixture; replace top.
- Spoon cake cube mixture over top of cake to within 1 in. of edge and into center hole of cake. Frost top edge and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with almonds and additional raspberries if desired. Chill. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Raspberry Tunnel Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2010, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Raspberry Tunnel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review