Chocolate-Raspberry Cream Puff Ring Recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed, divided
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Mash raspberries, reserving juice; strain and discard seeds. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in jelly and reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Cover a baking sheet with foil; grease the foil. Trace a 6-in. circle onto foil; set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 4. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared pan, along the inside of the circle (mounds should be slightly touching). Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Lift foil and transfer to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in the side of each puff to allow steam to escape; cool. Carefully cut ring in half horizontally and set top aside; remove soft dough from inside with a fork. Place ring bottom on a serving plate.
- 6. For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Stir in 1/2 cup fudge topping until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
- 7. Spread filling over bottom of cream puff ring; replace top. Drizzle with chilled raspberry sauce and remaining fudge topping. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 401 calories, 29 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.