Chocolate Puddles Recipe
The variations on this original recipe are almost endless. For double chocolate puddles, use semisweet chocolate chips for the vanilla chips. Or make peanut butter puddles by substituting peanut butter chips and peanuts for the vanilla chips and mixed nuts.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped mixed nuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is stiff.
- Meanwhile, for filling, heat chips and milk in a heavy saucepan over low heat until chips are melted, stirring constantly. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll cookie dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center; smooth any cracks.
- Roll filling into 1/2-in. balls; gently push one into each cookie. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Puddles in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p63
Reviews for Chocolate Puddles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review