- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Serve in bowls with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Pudding Cake
"The kids and I enjoyed the flavor of this. My husband did not care for this dessert. It definitely had a different texture that we are not used to. I loved the chocolate smell throughout the house while it cooked! I did have to substitute vanilla pudding for the chocolate. I thought I had chocolate pudding in the cupboard but I didn't. The chocolate chips went to the bottom."
"making this today. It's a snow day and cooking this will hit the spot to warm up and indulge."
"I love this -it cures the chocolate and pudding cravings!"
"Always gets "kudos" from the crowd!! I only cooked for 4 1/2 hrs., and I put "paper towels" under the lid to absorb the condensation that tends to drip on the cake and make it "soggy". Such a wonderful recipe, so easy, delicious, and frees up the oven.Zola"
"wonderful recipe. The only issue that I experienced was that all of my chocolate chips went to the bottom and burnt. Next time I will add the chocolate chips a couple hours into baking."
"This was great! It was done in 4 hours, though. I used 1/4 cup of chocolate liqueur and 3/4 cup of water."
"Made this over the weekend. It is like a steamed pudding. We liked it but it does need the chips and ice cream or whipped topping. Reminds me of what most of the world calls pudding. Mine was done in 4 hours rather than 6. Crock pot low may be warmer than some."
"I've made this for years. Sometimes substitute mint chocolate chips."
"This recipe is delicious and so easy to make. Just mix, pour and turn your crockpot on and forget. Wonderful!"