Chocolate Praline Torte Recipe
"No one will know this fancy dessert started with a handy boxed cake mix," assures Sandra Castillo of Watertown, Wisconsin. "We enjoy the scrumptious treat throughout the year for special dinners, potlucks and even picnics."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and cream. Stir over low heat until butter is melted. Pour into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with pecans; set aside.
- 2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Carefully pour batter over pecans. Bake at 325° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For topping, beat cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff.
- 4. Place one cake layer, pecan side up, on a serving plate. Spread with half of the topping. Top with second cake layer and remaining topping. Sprinkle with chocolate curls if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC