"No one will know this fancy dessert started with a handy boxed cake mix," assures Sandra Castillo of Watertown, Wisconsin. "We enjoy the scrumptious treat throughout the year for special dinners, potlucks and even picnics."
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and cream. Stir over low heat until butter is melted. Pour into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with pecans; set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Carefully pour batter over pecans. Bake at 325° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, beat cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff.
- Place one cake layer, pecan side up, on a serving plate. Spread with half of the topping. Top with second cake layer and remaining topping. Sprinkle with chocolate curls if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Praline Torte in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p55
Reviews for Chocolate Praline Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review