For the chocolate-lover in all of us, this dessert is the one. Packed with pecans, the luscious layers are topped off with heart-shaped chocolate candies. Every day is Valentine’s Day with this cake!—Kathy Engler, Brookfield, Wisconsin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) cook-and-serve chocolate pudding mix
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls and heart-shaped chocolate candies
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour into two greased 9-in. round baking pans and sprinkle with pecans.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, eggs, milk, butter, sweetened condensed milk and pudding mix; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half of the whipped cream. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining whipped cream over top. Garnish with chocolate curls and candies. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Praline Layer Cake in Country Woman
Reviews for Chocolate-Praline Layer Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review