- well. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Combine the flour, cocoa,
- baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with milk, beating just until combined. Stir in
- vanilla and nuts.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining
- sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into a
- greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, corn
- syrup and salt. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Place pan over low
- heat; continue beating on low until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add vanilla; beat on high until stiff glossy
- peaks form, about 7 minutes. Frost cake. Yield: 15 servings.
Editor's Note: Cake is moist and has a firm texture.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 292 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.