Chocolate Potato Cake with Mocha Frosting Recipe
This recipe for delicious and penny-pinching cake has been handed down for generations in the family. Don't be surprised when members of your family ask for an extra piece.—Charlotte Cleveland, Hobbs, New Mexico
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- MOCHA FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1. Let the eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in potatoes and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and spices; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat the frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 431 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC