This recipe for delicious and penny-pinching cake has been handed down for generations in the family. Don't be surprised when members of your family ask for an extra piece.—Charlotte Cleveland, Hobbs, New Mexico
Recommended: 28 Best Fall Cakes
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- MOCHA FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Let the eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in potatoes and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and spices; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Potato Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p53
Reviews for Chocolate Potato Cake with Mocha Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review