Chocolate Popcorn Balls
I've had this recipe for more than 20 years. They were good then...and just as great today! They're a fun change from traditional easter candy.
—Carolyn Hayes, Johnston City, Illinois
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- Place popcorn in a large heat-proof bowl; keep warm in a 200°
- oven. In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate. Stir in sugar and corn
- syrup. Add water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes
- to a boil. Continue to cook until a candy thermometer reads 250°
- (hard-ball stage).
- Pour over warm popcorn and stir until evenly coated. When mixture is
- cool enough to handle, quickly shape into 3-in. balls, dipping hands
- in cold water to prevent sticking. Cool; wrap in plastic wrap.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 253 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.