Chocolate Pinwheels Recipe
Recalls Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania field editor Patricia Kile, "My husband's 95-year-old grandfather was intrigued with how the swirls got in these cookies!"
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half; place each half between two sheets of waxed paper. Roll into 12-in. x 10-in. rectangles. Chill until almost firm, about 30 minutes.
- 3. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chips and butter; stir until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt. Spread over dough. Carefully roll up each rectangle into a tight jelly roll, starting with the long side. Wrap in waxed paper. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- 4. Gently cut into 1/2-in. slices with a sharp serrated knife; place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 9 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 85 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC