Chocolate Pineapple Trifle Recipe
We have this dessert every Christmas Day. Sometimes I'll serve individual helpings in stemmed goblets for an elegant holiday look. -Gloria Vrabel, Webster, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups cold milk, divided
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (5.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Pineapple chunks and grated chocolate, optional
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions. Cool completely. Meanwhile, for pineapple pudding, combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in 2 cups of milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir 1/2 cup hot mixture into the eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in pineapple and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; press a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap on top of pudding. Refrigerate, without stirring, until cooled. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Chill.
- 3. To assemble, cut cooled cake into 1-in. cubes. Place a third of the cake in a 3-1/2-qt. trifle dish. Combine water and rum extract; drizzle a third over the cake. Top with pineapple pudding, a third of the cake and a third of the rum mixture. Layer with the chocolate pudding and remaining cake and rum mixture. Cover and chill.
- 4. Just before serving, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake. Garnish with pineapple and grated chocolate if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 471 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 556 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC