- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups cold milk, divided
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (5.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Pineapple chunks and grated chocolate, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions. Cool completely. Meanwhile, for pineapple pudding, combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in 2 cups of milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir 1/2 cup hot mixture into the eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in pineapple and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; press a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap on top of pudding. Refrigerate, without stirring, until cooled. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Chill.
- To assemble, cut cooled cake into 1-in. cubes. Place a third of the cake in a 3-1/2-qt. trifle dish. Combine water and rum extract; drizzle a third over the cake. Top with pineapple pudding, a third of the cake and a third of the rum mixture. Layer with the chocolate pudding and remaining cake and rum mixture. Cover and chill.
- Just before serving, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake. Garnish with pineapple and grated chocolate if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Pineapple Trifle
"I'm impressed at your making pudding from scratch and using heavy cream instead of the dreaded, ubiquitous Cool Whip. Sounds really yum, and worthy of being served to guests on special occasions."
"chocolate pineapple trifle is so delicious, it's a keeper and one we'll be making any time we have the ingredients. It's so good, we want to make it as often as we can, and put the recipe in my recipe box."