- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool. In a large bowl, beat the egg, sugar, water and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until blended. Stir in melted chocolate.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Picnic Cake
"Great cake!! Moist and chocolaty!! Perfect for a picnic!!!"
"This cake is just as it's billed--Rich, moist, & chocolatey, and great for a picnic! I used 6 tablespoons of dark cocoa and 1/3 c of oil in place of the chocolate (as another reviewer did) since I never seem to have baking chocolate on hand, and I used 3/4 c of mini chocolate chips. That covered the surface of the cake nicely, so I didn't need the other 1/4 cup. This was a big hit at the picnic & I was glad I didn't have to worry about icing melting and making a mess in the 90-deg heat. This is a definite keeper!"
"I recall making this cake when it had been featured in TOH. I made the following adjustments when baking this cake: I'd used 9 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa with 4 Tbsp. oil as a chocolate substitute. I had kept the balance of the ingredients the same except that I had added 1/8 cup of all-purpose flour to the semi-sweet chocolate chips. I also greased and floured an 8x8x2" baking pan. I used a 40 minute baking time and used a cake tester to determine when it was done by inserting it near center.The tester should come out clean! This is a great recipe to use if needing something quick, yet tasty! delowenstein"
"Love this recipe! My father went through throat cancer and has lost a lot of his taste in his taste buds not to mention the ability to swallow most foods. This is one food item he can actually taste after more than a couple of bites and not lose the sense of the flavor of the cake and swallow without a coughing fit. This cake is great warm or cold, so perfect for family reunions or picnics or whatever. Also, we love it served with whipped cream or ice cream on top. It also stays moist for quite a few days. Definitely a staple desert for our family!"
"My two little boys loved helping to make this simple yet delicious cake! It will be appearing in their lunchboxes this fall."
"Not bad! easy to make and is a good addition to picnics/reunions..."