Chocolate Picnic Cake Recipe
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool. In a large bowl, beat the egg, sugar, water and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until blended. Stir in melted chocolate.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Picnic Cake
Sort By :
"Love this recipe! My father went through throat cancer and has lost a lot of his taste in his taste buds not to mention the ability to swallow most foods. This is one food item he can actually taste after more than a couple of bites and not lose the sense of the flavor of the cake and swallow without a coughing fit. This cake is great warm or cold, so perfect for family reunions or picnics or whatever. Also, we love it served with whipped cream or ice cream on top. It also stays moist for quite a few days. Definitely a staple desert for our family!"
"My two little boys loved helping to make this simple yet delicious cake! It will be appearing in their lunchboxes this fall."
"Not bad! Easy to make and is a good addition to picnics/reunions..."
"This cake is so easy to make and its very good."
"I have been making this recipe for several years. It is my husband's favorite chocolate cake. Frieda Hensley"