This is one of my family's favorite cookies. My brother baked them for a Boy Scout fundraiser, and they were a top seller! They look like gingersnaps, but they're flavored with peppermint candies and are quite crispy. It's no wonder they're always such a hit.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave, melt 1 cup chocolate chips. Stir until smooth; cool. In another bowl, beat egg, 2/3 cup sugar, oil, corn syrup and extracts until combined. Beat in melted chocolate. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually beat into peppermint mixture. Fold in candies and remaining chocolate chips.
- Place remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until tops are cracked and cookies are set, 12-15 minutes. Cool on pans 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Peppermint Snaps in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017