Chocolate Peppermint Scones Recipe
Try my decadent scones as a breakfast or brunch treat or a snack served with coffee and mint tea. They're so festive for the holidays, decked out in red and white peppermint candy. —Shelly Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, buttermilk, egg and extract; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half; transfer each portion to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Cut into six wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until puffed and tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks; cool slightly. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with peppermint candies. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 scone equals 328 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Peppermint Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC