- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, buttermilk, egg and extract; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half; transfer each portion to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Cut into six wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until puffed and tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks; cool slightly. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with peppermint candies. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Peppermint Scones
"I made these tonight, and they're very good! We didn't have peppermint extract, but what we did have was orange extract and raspberry extract. So, I made chocolate orange scones tonight. I'd definitely make these again!"
"This is absolutely fabulous and tastes delicious! Don't forget to use whole wheat PASTRY flour or there will be a slight crunch."
"While the holidays are over I still wanted to try this recipe. Delicious! It is very easy and fast to put together. The kids I watch wondered why I was making chocolate stones! Of course they were gobbled up at snack time. I have a package of those Andes pieces and agree they would be great sprinkled on top just as these come out of the oven. Although I liked the crushed candy cane and chocolate too."
"They were really great - like warm chocolate cookies almost. I didn't care for the sticky candy topping - next time I'll use Andes Mints since I think their texture would go better with the scones."
"I made this recipe today and it turned out very good, nice minty chocolatey flavour, great texture, I will definitely make it again!"
"This recipe turns out so nice, I have to hide it from my family in order to have it for the special meals we wanted. This recipe is definitely a keeper."