Try my decadent scones as a breakfast or brunch treat or a snack served with coffee and mint tea. They're so festive for the holidays, decked out in red and white peppermint candy. —Shelly Platten, Amherst, Wisconsin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, buttermilk, egg and extract; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half; transfer each portion to a greased baking sheet. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Cut into six wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until puffed and tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks; cool slightly. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with peppermint candies. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Peppermint Scones in Country Woman December/January 2009, p21
Reviews for Chocolate Peppermint Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review