My cookie-loving family is never satisfied with just one batch of these minty pinwheels, so I automatically double the recipe each time I bake them.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Add chocolate to one portion and mix well.
- Roll each portion between waxed paper into a 16-in. x 7-in. rectangle, about 1/4-in. thick. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; place plain dough over chocolate dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p47
Reviews for Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review