- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture (batter will be very thick).
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and peppermint candies.
- Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel. Place on a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in cocoa and water until blended. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Spread glaze over cake. Sprinkle with peppermint candies. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Peppermint Log in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p227
Reviews for Chocolate Peppermint Log
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review