Unlike the real woodland creatures, these chocolate-coated hedgehogs dwell on snack plates and cookie trays. The little guys are fun to make and eat. —Pamela Goodlet, Washington Island, WI
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ground pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, pecans and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball; pinch the dough to form a face. Repeat. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Holding a hedgehog cookie by the nose, spoon chocolate over the back (leave the face uncovered). Allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; immediately coat the wet chocolate with sprinkles.
- With a toothpick dipped in chocolate, make two eyes and a dot on the nose. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 16 cookies.
Originally published as Hedgehog Cookies in Country Woman August/September 2009, p23
Reviews for Chocolate-Pecan Hedgehog Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review