- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil; butter the foil with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with pecans and chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely before cutting. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds (about 6-3/4 dozen).
Reviews for Chocolate Pecan Caramels
"Cooked according to recipe, caramel was too soft when I went to cut it, so recooked and then was too hard to cut easily"
"I've made these several times! They are so wonderful! They taste just like pecan caramel turtles! These are a big hit with everyone that I have served these too!"
"These are wonderful! I gave them to the staff at my kids school and got many praises!"
"This taste just like pecan caramel turtles!!! Which is my favorite candy. I make these every Christmas and they are a total hit! They're easy to make and turn out fantastic every time."
"I make this every year for Christmas and always get compliments on it. The chocolate chips and nuts are so awesome with the carmel!!!!!!"