- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 11 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan melt butter and shortening over low heat, Remove from the heat; stir in the cocoa, chocolate syrup and peanut butter until smooth. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until lemon-colored. Beat in the chocolate mixture and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until surface cracks. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until fluffy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Pipe or spread onto the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: 2-3/4 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
"Sounds like too much milk in the filling. I would add it slowly and stop when I got the consistency I want."
"I would definitely make these again, but would cut back on the milk for the filling! It was way to soft, so I had to keep adding sugar to thicken it. But they are very good!"
"I want to try this recepie, but would like to know first if it freezes well? Has anyone tried freezing them?"
"I agree with wolfmommy that recipes shouldn't be rated unless actually tried. Good cooks can determine whether they like the ingredients, but an excellent cook would not rate it until he/she tried it to determine the correctness of amounts."
"FILLING: Why not use Chocolate Peanut Butter mixed with whipped cream; add vanilla and if needed, add a little bit of the powdered sugar for taste."
"I think it sounds like a great cookie to make for a bake sale people are not afraid to indulge once in awhile and it donates to the cause ."
"Okay, here is an idea, use low fat yogurt or vanilla ice cream as filling with less peanut butter. Honestly, I don't know why women can't use their own minds and determine what is best for them and their family without being critical of others. We wonder why are children are so hateful and cruel to others, they have learned the behavior from their own parents."
"I haven't tried this yet but plan on making it for some firefighters that are coming to help at our school. Should I refrigerate the cookies?"
"I find it helpful when people give tips on how they cut fat, sugar & calories because I've done it for years! But, please, don't bash a recipe because you don't want to make adjustments that are necessary for you to enjoy it. Many people don't share your concerns. Most of us are "foodies" who enjoy cooking & sharing our creations with others. So, let's relax & enjoy sharing!"
"I loved this recipe. Its great for birthday parties. I used real chocolate and the filling is a bit to sweet!"